Saturday, July 5, 2008

Fun on the 4th

So, since the 4th of July is my FAVORITE holiday, it was a little depressing that Jared had to work. I love Santa Rosa, but what's up with their 4th celebration. The town is over 160 thousand people and they can't have a parade? Ashland has one for just 30 thousand (even if it is a bunch of liberal granola-eating, tree-hugging, alternative lifestyle-loving thespians)! So because there is not much of a celebration here during the day, I decided that I should take a chance and take the kids to the fireworks display in Petaluma that night. Here we are at the gate: I tried so hard to get a good picture of Kimmy but since it was so dark, the flash kept bugging her eyes!
Sad to say, I was actually surprised at what a great time the four of us had. The kids were really on their best behavior and we had hot dogs and cotton candy to eat while we were waiting for the show. They didn't fight with each other, or act disobediently once! Hurray for us and our small victory!

I think that the red, white and blue glow sticks that we purchased at Target before hand had something to do with the good behavior.
I don't know what was up with Nate, but he is trying to look like he is eating someone in every picture! What a goof!
Dana had a great time dancing and singing along to the classic rock songs they had playing over the PA system. It didn't bother her that she didn't know the lyrics. The way she is so passionate about singing (whether she can sing the tune or not) is one of my very favorite things about her!
The fireworks were pretty good, and we even had the best luck leaving the fairgrounds, it only took us about four minutes to get out.

We had a great time and I am very encouraged by it, I might just try taking them out by myself again sometime!

4 comments:

Sally said...

Very fun, I'm glad the kids were good for you. It's always a little unnerving to go out alone with your kids...

Anne Marie said...

Good for you! I'm so impressed you still did some celebrating, even with your husband working. Laughing about that pic with Nate eating his baby sister.

Kristin said...

Go Mommy!! I know that feeling of accomplishment when you do something cool like that with all the kiddos by yourself and it ends up OK. It's a great feeling.

Tiana Johnson said...

Wow! You're so brave! I can't handle taking 3 kids out alone yet. I find it too difficult still.