Friday, November 7, 2008

Batman - The Dark Knight

When we were talking about what he wanted to be for Halloween, Nate knew he wanted to be somebody tough and cool, so when Dad suggested Batman the Dark Knight, Nate was sold. Here is a movie still shot of Christian Bale as Batman. As you can see, the suit has been made way cooler than it was in the 90's movies. In fact, one of the coolest things that they did to Batman's costume was give him this cool cape that when charged with electricity or something, it would become stiff and he could like hang-glide with it. Here's another movie still of him doing just that:
I was totally excited when I found this really cool, shiny pleather material at the fabric store. I knew that it would work perfectly. However, I had to squint over movie stills to figure out how to design the top. Here's my finished product:Here's a closer look at the bat design and the muscles I "built-in" to the costume (this is one of my all-time favorite pictures of Nate too, he's just so good lookin'!)
In order to make the top, I sewed lines in it where his muscles should be. After that, I had to stuff between the lines I sewed with batting, and the top hade to be lined so that the batting would stay in place. It was kind of time consuming, and I don't know if my pictures do it justice, but I really loved the way it turned out.
We were also able to find Batman's utility belt and his expandable wings online. The wings were really cool, cause you wore them like a backpack. When you wanted them to pop out, you just pulled the ripcord, and they would shoot out. When it was time to put them away, like to walk through doors, you pulled the rip cords at both shoulders like 4 times and they would gradually retract. Nate kept forgetting to pull his wings in though, and ended up poking a lot of people.
Funny story about Nate's costume though. I got all the supplies for it pretty early, but I put off making it until the night before our Ward Halloween carnival. Nate was getting a little stressed because he thought that he wasn't going to have anything to wear to it. But I assured him that I made him a promise and that I take my promises really seriously, so no matter what it took, I would get his costume made.
So, it was bedtime, and I was just starting to cut out the pieces for the costume. As I was ushering the kids up the stairs for bed, Nate turns to me and says, "Don't forget to drink a lot of Diet Coke so you can stay up all night and finish my costume!" I couldn't help but laugh at that, he's so funny the way he expresses himself sometimes. Of course, I did end up staying up all night to get the costume done. Nate is an early riser anyway, but he woke up at 6 am and before he even came around the corner at the bottom of the stairs and saw me, he calls out "Good job staying up and making my costume Mom. I am really proud of you." It was too funny. He was so excited about the costume that he put it on right then, and I couldn't get it off him all weekend!

The last few pictures have been of Nate and his 1st grade classmates in their Halloween costumes. It is such a fun holiday, and the school does such a good job making the day special.

During the parade at Nate's school, we were walking behind Nate and his "girlfriend" Paige, who is pictured below as Scooby Doo. Kimmy LOVES dogs, and since we were right next to Paige the whole time, she couldn't stop doing her little high pitched "bark" that she does. I put bark in quotations because she doesn't actually say "ruf," she just squeaks. It is the sweetest thing!

3 comments:

Kelly(M&M) said...

I am so loving your updates!! You get an A+ for Nate's costume and the all nighter you pulled. I am proud of you too.

Tiana Johnson said...

Wow, you are a serious trooper to sacrifice like that. I'm a Halloween slacker.

The Lanyons said...

Do you hire yourself out? I have an angel costume to make for the nativity play but NO skills!